Quick Links

Clubs, etc.

News

Overstrand Village sign Pebbles

Strand Club Report for July 2018

We were delighted to welcome back Eddie Anderson who was kind enough to step in when our scheduled speaker was unable to come.

His talk was entitled “Templewood – a Shooting Box for a Gentleman”.

Sir Samuel Hoare, MP for Kensington and Chelsea, decided he needed to acquire some good shooting land for his leisure time and settled on an area of mostly trees between Northrepps and Trimingham known as Froghall. First of all an avenue of trees was planted along a rough track from the lane between the two villages. On the corner of the track was an old cart shed which he decided to convert to a dwelling – almost unheard of in the first part of the 20th century. A small wooden pavilion and tennis court were built long before the main house was! Samuel thought long and hard about the style of his new house, which would be situated at the far end of the track. He rather liked Versailles but finally decided this would be too ambitious (and expensive) for the wilds of Norfolk. He eventually decided on the Veneto style, rather Roman with columns and statues, and work finally got underway. It was completed in 1938 with Paul Paget, his nephew, and John Seely acting as architects. During this time Fred Grey lived on site in his gamekeeper’s cottage and looked after the onsite pheasants, also planting more trees to extend the woodland. The house was built by Bullens who were descendents of Anne Boleyn! It cost £8,000 which was a huge amount at that time.

Samuel Hoare was sent as ambassador to Spain during the second world war, the only MP to be out of the country for the entire war. He died in 1958 and left the house to his nephew Paul Paget who was 70 at the time. Paul married Verily Anderson who was a widow with 5 children, one of them Eddie, and they lived happily there for some years. Verily continued to live on in Templewood for a while after Paul’s death but then invited Eddie to live there with his family and moved into the old cart shed, now a lovely home.

It was a most interesting talk with fascinating old photographs of the various family members and plans of the house from its conception to finished building. Our thanks go to Eddie both for entertaining us so well and for baling us out at the last minute.

Eddie invited us to visit Templewood and see for ourselves the wonderful painted ceilings and so on, which he has so ably described. This will take place in November in place of our Christmas decoration session! It was a unanimous decision by those present with a roar of “Yesss!” and a forest of hands in the air.

Details will be given at a later date but meanwhile, there being no meeting in August, our next meeting will be on 12th September when a representative from the Stalham Firehouse Museum will join us and tell us about their work there. It should be most interesting.

For further information about the Strand Club please contact either our Chairman, Jackie Hudson, on 01263 720866 or our Secretary, Chris Wood, on 01263 579433. We only charge £2 entrance for visitors which covers light refreshments. Please come and try us out – we would be very pleased to meet you!.

This entry was posted in General. Bookmark the permalink.