The Danish Pavilion
The Danish Pavilion was one of eight built on the banks of the River Seine for the 1900 Paris Exposition each of them showing a different style of national architecture.
The exposition attracted fifty-nine million visitors, one of whom was Lady Elizabeth Lewis, whose eminent husband bought it and moved the building to a four-acre plot at Overstrand, then an emerging fashionable village which was soon to be known by the nickname the ‘Village of Millionaires’.
Sir George Lewis a well-heeled London lawyer, whose help was sought by high-profile clients, including the Prince of Wales and Oscar Wilde used Danish House as his second home, where he and his wife entertained their artistic, literary and dramatic friends in the lavish wood and plaster three storey building with its seven bedrooms, verandah, courtyard, stables, kitchen wing and servants quarters, harness room, a tower and an entrance reached by a covered walkway.
The Pavilion was badly damaged by fire in 1951, and replaced by a motel which was finally demolished and the site redeveloped as a small bungalow estate in 1991 aptly name Danish House Gardens.